Retro Report is looking for an engagement producer to join our newsroom. You will report to the Executive Producer and work closely with the Head of Strategy & Business Development to develop, execute and lead companywide engagement strategy, from digital activities to offline community discussions. This is a full-time position.
In this role, you will draw on your journalism and community engagement experience to partner with and coach producers on ways to engage target audiences and communities with Retro Report at all phases of our work, including the reporting process. This will include community listening, reporting, and setting up and running events and discussions at places like libraries and schools.
Through your engagement with our audiences, you will find ways to highlight and create discussion around Retro Report’s body of work, including six years of reporting and an archive of over 200 docs.
Retro Report’s mission is to arm the public with a more complete picture of today through discussion of history. The engagement producer will help producers create real-world impact. Some of the impact we are looking to have: shining a light and reporting on topics most important to the communities we serve, engaging in national and local conversations on the topics we cover, influencing journalists to add more history and historical context to their work, and providing teachers and professors with tools to encourage students to think critically using history.
Two core responsibilities:
Community listening and outreach. Lead and act on community research to better serve and engage target audiences. Conduct community discussions online and through in-person events
Engagement reporting. Pitch projects to engage diverse audiences with our journalism across digital platforms and offline communities (from YouTube info seekers to campus and local communities). In partnership with producers, report stories that result from community outreach and engagement.
- 5 years of experience in journalism
- 2-3 years of experience with community engagement (not just social media experience)
- Proven track record of setting up in-person events and discussions specific to journalism
- Familiarity with some of our target audiences: news consumers, professors, students
- Proven track record of forging relationships with fellow journalists in and out of your organization
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of mainstream & emerging social and community platforms. You understand how platforms do or do not fit into a project’s engagement plan.
- Passion for history
- Familiarity with Retro Report’s mission (you’ve binge-watched our work)
- Experience with analytics tools like Google Analytics
- Experience with newsletter publishing a plus
- Limited travel possible
Retro Report is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.
Please send resumes and examples of relevant work to: email@example.com