Director of Development
Director of Development Job Description
Retro Report is seeking an entrepreneurial executive to take our growing non-profit to the next level by significantly expanding philanthropic support across all areas of philanthropy. The Director of Development will build on a founder-centric program to support Retro Report’s path to sustainability. You also will work closely with our Board of Directors to identify new potential board candidates to strengthen leadership support. This position reports to the president of Retro Report and works with a small development team.
We seek a sharp, dynamic, and experienced individual to join our team. The successful candidate will be well-networked in the nonprofit education space, a gifted fundraiser, an effective presenter, and devoted to our mission. Your objective is to build a diverse pipeline of foundations, major gifts, and individual donors, and to implement processes to support sustained growth across all categories.
- Develop, implement and maintain a systematic fundraising approach to individuals, foundations and institutions.
- Develop strategies and direct research to secure new support from individuals and foundations.
- Identify, cultivate and nurture relationships with major donors to secure major gifts.
- Effectively and persuasively present Retro Report’s case for support.
- Engage frequently with program officers at funding organizations.
- Direct LOIs to prospective funders, lead grant proposal drafting/review process.
- Create and execute a strategy to build a large, sustained base of annual individual donors, oversee twice yearly giving campaign.
- Plan and conduct fundraising and stewardship events.
- Attend events to cultivate prospects.
- Lead creation of marketing materials targeting donors and prospective donors.
- Seven + years of experience in fundraising.
- Experience building a development office.
- Monthly presence in New York City office required as well as necessary travel.
- A proven track record of successful fundraising across foundations and major gifts.
- BA required.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize to meet objectives.
- Excellent communication skills, especially writing, are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work effectively with board members, staff, donors and others in a highly professional manner required.
- Knowledge of the education and journalism philanthropic community.
- Strong commitment to Retro Report’s mission and vision for the future.
- A passion for history, education and journalism.
- Someone who will thrive in a small but growing non-profit newsroom.
Retro Report’s mission is to inject context into the discussion of today’s most important issues. We use the clear lens of history to bring a greater understanding of current events and to fight misinformation. Your role will be to build a sustainable philanthropy-based model to support Retro Report’s core journalism and supplemental tools designed to help teachers and students in the classroom.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Retro Report is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.