Audience Engagement Manager
Retro Report is looking for an audience engagement manager to join our newsroom. Your primary goal will be to foster and expand Retro Report’s audience. You will be responsible for audience growth from casual users to engaged community members. A key part of your role will be programming content and developing engagement tactics across our platforms including social channels, YouTube, our website and newsletters. This is a full-time position. You will report to our lead engagement producer.
In this role, you will draw on your audience development skills to engage an increasingly important audience target for our work: educators from middle school through higher education.
You will find ways to highlight and create discussion around Retro Report’s body of work, including seven years of reporting and an archive of over 250 docs. You will also focus on converting casual social media engagements into more permanent connections (e.g. growing our newsletter subscribers and connecting teachers with our Director of Education). You will support the lead engagement producer in the development of an engagement playbook through day-to-day testing of what works best for Retro Report and our audience. You will also be responsible for monitoring performance of these tactics through data tracking and analysis.
Retro Report’s mission is to inject context into today’s discussions of both current events and history. We use the clear lens of history to bring a greater understanding of our world today and to fight misinformation. Your role will be to reach new digital audiences with a focus on educators in pursuit of this mission.
- Day to day manager of social media channels - create daily posts for use across the website, newsletter and social media aimed at engaging our target audience - bring them to our website and drive them to engage with us through webinars, newsletters, etc.
- Develop strategies to convert casual users to newsletter subscribers and returning visitors.
- Plan engagement strategies for new videos and educational resources
- Analyze metrics in an effort to track and improve reach, as well as increase engagement
- Provide feedback on how we can better engage target audiences with our journalism across digital platforms and offline communities.
- 5 years of experience in audience development in journalism and/or education
- Experience with writing, editing and producing multimedia content for social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Medium, etc.)
- Expert in how to use mainstream & emerging social and community platforms. You stay up to date on the launch of new features and new platforms.
- A proven track record of organically growing audiences and engagement for news organizations on social media.
- Strong data analysis skills. (You can translate Google Analytics, social media and newsletter data into trends, insights and strategy.)
- Experience with newsletter publishing and a proven track record of growing subscribers.
- Proficient at SEO writing.
- Experience with YouTube is a plus - from optimizing content and SEO to community engagement.
- Familiarity with our target audiences: teachers, professors, gen z news consumers
- Data and results-driven: audience growth and engagement are your top priorities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience with video editing tools like Adobe Premiere.
- Passion for history.
- Familiarity with Retro Report’s mission (you’ve binge-watched our work).
- Bonus: Graphic design skills, experience working with education audiences and experience with small marketing budgets to grow audiences.
Retro Report is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.
Please send resumes, social media portfolio and other examples of relevant work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don’t meet all of the job requirements, but feel you can still drive growth of an engaged audience of educators, please apply.