Retro Report is a growing series of over 150 short documentaries that tell the history behind the news.
Context for this Week
Stories that shine a light on today’s news
One year after the Parkland shooting, the House advanced a bill requiring background checks for gun sales. Student-led protests have galvanized gun control advocates in the past year, but revisiting a past fight over gun safety might help us understand how the conversation has progressed. Watch “Why We Can’t Have a Civil Conversation About Guns.”
There are 50 confirmed cases of measles in Washington state – and the outbreak doesn’t seem to be slowing. We explored the growing anti-vaxxer movement and how autism was first falsely linked with autism in this video. Click to watch – and then send to your friends.
The Supreme Court will review a NYC law that places restrictions on transporting guns outside the home. We examined how the gun control debate has evolved since the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan, and what we can learn from the Brady Bill.
- Black Lives and the Boston Massacre, and more
- ‘Why did you do this?’ His brother confessed to gunning down 17 people in Parkland, and more
- The World Is Choking on Digital Pollution and more great reads
- The Women Rescued from Boko Haram Who Are Returning to Their Captors, and more
- Mental Illness in American Prisons, Paul Ryan's Long Con, and more...