Independent. Objective. Nonprofit.
We tell the stories behind the headlines. Retro Report is an independent, objective, nonprofit news organization dedicated to uncovering how news of the past continues to resonate today.
Context for this Week
Stories that shine a light on today’s news
The Trump administration announced major changes to the Endangered Species Act, which was signed into law in 1973 and currently protects over 1,600 species. We look back on how the Endangered Species Act helped rebound the gray wolf population in the West. And how it got very complicated, very fast.
Since the election of populist President Jair Bolsonaro, the destruction of Brazil’s rainforest has increased rapidly as he reduces efforts to fight illegal logging, ranching and mining. But to truly understand the story you have to go further back…to when the singer Sting brought the plight of the rainforest to the world’s attention. Watch.
ICE is ramping up its arrest of thousands of undocumented immigrants. Some immigrants have been seeking shelter in churches – the latest chapter in a movement that began decades ago. Watch “Sanctuary Cities” by clicking below.
- The shameful story of how 1 million black families have been ripped from their farms, and more
- The history of black voters, and more
- New Coke Didn’t Fail. It Was Murdered.... and more
- How the women of NASA made their mark, the tortuous history of the treadmill, etc.
- What really happened during our last standoff with Iran, and more