Retro Report is a growing series of over 150 short documentaries that tell the history behind the news.
Context for this Week
Stories that shine a light on today’s news
Per The New York Times, Pacific Gas & Electric overlooked or was responsible for several recent deadly wildfires in California. Our story examining the 1988 Yellowstone fire shows how complicated putting out wildfires can be. Of course, mismanagement from the state’s largest utility exacerbates the problem.
Remember the Ice Bucket Challenge? Viral giving and clicktivism is a relatively modern trend—and one partially inspired by Live Aid in 1985, which aimed to make donating to charity an enticing experience. Watch how it inspired a generation.
Twitter has permanently suspended the account of Jacob Wohl, who last year was caught attempting to spread disinformation about Robert Mueller. See how conspiracy theorists like Wohl have found a home, and a new audience, online. Watch Conspiracy Theories and Fake News from JFK to Pizzagate.
- The Making of the Fox News White House, and more
- Since Parkland, the Secret History of Women in Coding, and more
- Black Lives and the Boston Massacre, and more
- ‘Why did you do this?’ His brother confessed to gunning down 17 people in Parkland, and more
- The World Is Choking on Digital Pollution and more great reads