Retro Report is a growing series of over 150 short documentaries that tell the history behind the news.
Context for this Week
Stories that shine a light on today’s news
Recently discovered documents from Republican strategist Thomas Hofeller outline how the GOP used gerrymandering to achieve political advantage. (The documents also outline how a proposed citizenship question on the 2020 census was designed to achieve the same ends.) Watch our piece delving into the racial aspects of gerrymandering here.
In 2019 alone, eight children have died after being left in hot cars. A growing movement is trying to pressure manufacturers into making cars safer for kids – but manufacturers are pushing back. And it’s not the first time – for decades, the auto industry lobbied hard against airbags, claiming the technology was untested and cumbersome. Watch our story here…
Last month, the Supreme Court made a partial ruling on an abortion restriction in Indiana. In his opinion Justice Clarence Thomas linked the rise of abortion and contraception to eugenics. To learn more about America’s troubling history with eugenics, you can watch our doc here.
- Native America women leading the charge, and more
- America's original "welfare queen" and more
- Peter Max's dementia spelled opportunity for some, the curious history of crap, and more
- Who killed the prime minister? The unsolved murder that still haunts Sweden, and more...
- Who Owns South Africa?, How Beef Has Changed America, etc