Independent. Objective. Nonprofit.
We tell the stories behind the headlines. Retro Report is an independent, objective, nonprofit news organization dedicated to uncovering how news of the past continues to resonate today.
Context for this Week
Stories that shine a light on today’s news
This weekend, ICE expected to start arresting thousands of undocumented immigrants. Some immigrants have been seeking shelter in churches – the latest chapter in a movement that began decades ago. Watch “Sanctuary Cities” by clicking below.
Italy has sentenced 24 people in absentia for their role in Operation Condor – a coordinated effort between six South American countries that killed and kidnapped leftwing activists in the 1970/80s. Chilean folk singer Victor Jara was one of the people who was tortured and killed during that time.
Facing scrutiny in the UK Parliament over their use of loot boxes, representatives of the popular video game Fortnite said they call their loot boxes “surprise mechanics,”and that they were actually more akin to chocolate Kinder eggs than gambling. Watch “Future of Gaming” to learn about how video game designers lure you in and keep you coming back.
- What really happened during our last standoff with Iran, and more
- Native America women leading the charge, and more
- America's original "welfare queen" and more
- Peter Max's dementia spelled opportunity for some, the curious history of crap, and more
- Who killed the prime minister? The unsolved murder that still haunts Sweden, and more...