Retro Report is a growing series of over 150 short documentaries that tell the history behind the news.
Context for this Week
Stories that shine a light on today’s news
Since the 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump has threatened to “open up the libel laws” so he could sue the New York Times. Now, the President has found a strong ally in Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas who has called for reconsideration of a landmark First Amendment precedent. What’s at stake? Watch this Retro Report.
One year after the Parkland shooting, the House advanced a bill requiring background checks for gun sales. Student-led protests have galvanized gun control advocates in the past year, but revisiting a past fight over gun safety might help us understand how the conversation has progressed. Watch “Why We Can’t Have a Civil Conversation About Guns.”
There are 50 confirmed cases of measles in Washington state – and the outbreak doesn’t seem to be slowing. We explored the growing anti-vaxxer movement and how autism was first falsely linked with autism in this video. Click to watch – and then send to your friends.
- Since Parkland, the Secret History of Women in Coding, and more
- Black Lives and the Boston Massacre, and more
- ‘Why did you do this?’ His brother confessed to gunning down 17 people in Parkland, and more
- The World Is Choking on Digital Pollution and more great reads
- The Women Rescued from Boko Haram Who Are Returning to Their Captors, and more